Theoretically this shouldn't be tremendously difficult, but apparently it is difficult to find reliable historical data.
My somewhat *ambitious* plan:
1. Finally make the switch from Google Sheets to R.
2. Use Quandl (api w/in R) and their EOD wiki for data (my backup plan for Yahoo)
a. find a "plan C" for data. NDAQ site appears scrapeable
3. 20% chance: set up dedicated homeserver (using an old desktop, and using Python (or R!):
- record EOD data, update daily (save data 1st, adjust after calling it)
- most likely will store optionable stocks. must be able to add/delete tickers as needed w/minimal disruption to data
- record short interest data, record biweekly
- record earnings dates, update every weekend